Tuesday, May 22, 2012

One Bark and Scary Night

It is 3 a.m. and I am not sure if I am awake or dreaming. A loud bark from Africa confirms that I am indeed awake and this is not a dream, but maybe a nightmare. The husband is away and I think my biggest fear is about to occur.

Africa never barks unless there is a human on or near our property that is not expected or welcome. Typical night sounds, other dogs barking, or anything that usually provokes a dog to bark, does not inspire Africa to needless noise. This trait is fantastic because we all know how annoying barking can be.

It is this knowledge that made me to begin to shake and panic when I was awakened to very confidant barking coming from the main part of my house in the very dark, and early hours of the morning. It got worse when I realize that Africa is even more loud and running across the house towards the garage.

I grabbed my cell next to me and immediately dialed 911. I explained that I was alone, I had two young children, and my dog was barking uncontrollably which never happens. I asked the operator to just stay with me as I investigated. She was ready to send someone, but Africa stopped barking just as I opened my bedroom door.

I checked out the rest of the house and garage and of course didn't find anyone. I confess I am an extremely paranoid person especially after becoming a mom, but I know that if Africa is barking, there is a reason.

I still don't know what that was, if anything. I live in a very safe neighborhood and a community with a low crime rate, but know that anything can happen at anytime. A similar experience has happened once before 2 years ago. It also resulted in nothing, but the that kind of feeling of panic is never far away from my memory. My own personal theory is that if it was someone, without even seeing Africa, her very bark is aggressive enough that she would have scared someone away.

I can speculate and wonder forever, but the one thing I am sure of is that I have an incredible guard dog who was a hero on that night and probably other times I don't even know about.

It is scary out there, but a lot less scary when you have one of these.






14 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo to Africa. No doubt Africa knew what was going on and had it under control. MOM always trust me when I give a shout out in the night.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Africa. You are so right about having that safeguard there to protect you. We applaud you for calling for help - very wise move.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. Not only do dogs provide an alarm so you know something isn't right, but they can also scare whomever away to the next house. I take it seriously when my dogs alarm bark in the middle of the night as well. Why fool around?

    Good job, Africa.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that kind of barking is enough to make a burglar move on...they want a quick and easy job, not to deal with a big dog! There are exceptions, unfortunately, but I'm glad that nothing came of it this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad everything is ok!
    Sure you feel very safe having Africa in alert mode!
    Take care
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was scary O_o Gladly you have Africa! What a wonderful guard dog. I'm sure whatever or whoever it was it got scared right away it heard Africa :)

    -Lilli-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Girl!! When my dogs bark, I listen as well!

    Mamma Heartbeat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Africa loves you and would defend you to the ends of the earth! You're very lucky to have her. Hopefully she scared away whatever it was...for good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does sound scary! I'm a schnauzer, so I bark just for the sake of barking during the day, but at night my people know I mean business if I bark.

    Great job, Africa!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Howdy Kasha, I too would be very concerned if our dogs barked at night. Luckily the sound of Africa would be enough to scare off anyone. I'm glad you rang for help just to be on the safe side. Take care. No worries, and love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds scary but I'm sure that you feel better now :D


    Dog Shock Collar | Puppy Bond

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see that Africa did a good job of protecting her territory and owner.

    If your dog never barks unless there is a human around, then she must have seen something or heard something.

    Thakfully you where safe. Africa deserves a treat

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear you ! I too get puzzled- and worried- when Bundy barks all of a sudden...Thinking what can he see/hear that I cannot... But I comfort myself thinking just the sound of him is a preventive action..
    Monica in DK

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very fantastic and well-written post about his barking story.I read and liked the post.

    Watching Netflix Overseas

    ReplyDelete