Unless you have been hiding under Africa's water bowl ( I wouldn't recommend it) you already know that these are not the best of times. A bad economy often equals a bad attitude or a negative outlook. With 2.6 million jobs lost last year and perhaps more this year it is no surprise that many people are having a hard time feeling happy.
So I say- reach out and touch someone, and if you are not into giving random people hugs ( that might be creepy) than smile .
Here are some facts about smiles:
• 72% of people think of those who smile frequently as being more confident and successful.
• 86% of people say that they are more likely to strike up conversations with strangers if they are smiling.
• Bosses are 12% more likely to promote people who smile a lot.
• Research shows that 65% of communication is non-verbal (many claim an even higher percentage).
• Non-verbal communication comprises facial expressions, eye movement, gestures, posture, and all other bodily signs-primarily facial expressions.
• The effects of a smile are so powerful that even a smile on the telephone produces positive results.
• When someone comes into a room, people are automatically drawn to their face, and a smile provides a warm greeting.
• Studies show that happiness is a by-product of smiling, not the other way around as most people assume.
• Research shows that when two people in conversation use the same kind of body movements and gestures (such as smiling), they will experience greater empathy for each other, which they may not even consciously notice.
(Thanks to- http://www.thercg.org/youth/articles/0101-s.html)