Saturday, April 25, 2009

Please remind me why we got this dog!


The picture of the first day we got her helps, but I woke up today and needed a little reminder as to why I got this puppy. I am a new mom and still have to get up every three hours to feed our boy. At 2 in the morning I woke up to a stinky mess in Africa's crate. Despite her relieving herself before we put her in her crate like we always do she decided to have an accident big time in the middle of the night. I have replaced 3 pacifiers, lots of new diapers, some baby clothes, a bottle, and who knows what else is yet to be noticed as missing. So I bring you a quick story why we thought she would be good to have with our kids.
We were sold on this breed when my husband heard that a Father and his son were in an outdoor shopping center with their boerboel and the story goes that the Father had to step inside of a store for a few minutes that did not allow dogs. A bystander observed the Father perhaps jokingly telling the dog to take care of his son even though the son was around 6 or 7 years old. The bystander then observed a mischevious fellow zoom in on the abandoned child and begin to approach him. As soon as the dog saw this he got up and layed on top of the child without taking his eyes off the suspect. This of course deterred the individual and he kept walking. The person who observed this occur went up to the Father when he returned, told him the story, and asked what breed the dog was so he could get a dog like this himself. We have also heard from another boerboel owner that their dog would walk around the edge of the pool when their children were playing by the pool as if to make sure they would not get near the edge or fall in. I guess even though Africa is driving me crazy destroying my son's things now, she may be helpful with him later.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't had a puppy for many years and all of my present dogs I got as adults. There is a lot to be said about that.

    But when I see a puppy my heart goes out and I think how rewarding it would be to form a dog's early months. Maybe I'll just read your blog though to get the experience. Cleaning middle of the night poop from a cage doesn't sound that great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww... look at that cute little face. How could that little face do ANYTHING wrong...? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and I are sure that Africa will get better!!!! Just you wait!!

    woof

    Velcro

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea about your breed of dog as I know very little about this gorgeous breed but some breed hate crating. I only know this as my son's girlfriend had a Alaskan Malamute and everytime they crated her she acted up. They eventually got a book about this breed and it stated they were terrified of cages and will act out. I've always crated our dogs for the first few months and I think they feel more secure. She is soooo cute so just remember that her puppy phase will go by all too quickly. How can you be mad for long at that amazingly cute face? I bet she even looks cute with poop all over her!!! Well maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first few months was the hardest for me with Zeus. He had accidents every day in his crate when I first got him. I was wondering the same thing... it gets better. Adorable puppy pic though.

    ReplyDelete